Last month, I received my Guest Design Team box of goodies in the mail from Home and Garden Welcome. It was a complete surprise to me what was going to be coming. Bwahaha!! Surprises are exciting!!
As I opened the box, my hubby and I learned we are opposites to the core. As I sat there salivating over the magnificent things I would get to play with, my hubby just sat there shaking his head. You see, all I was thinking about was all the cool things I could design. He on the other hand, turned the box upside down and wanted to know where the instructions were located. LOL. He is cute, even if he is a computer geek!!
The box contained the items in the October Home and Garden Welcome Mystery Kit. I was honored to be asked to be part of Home and Garden Welcomes guest design team for October and asked to keep the contents of the box secret until now. Love secrets!!! (Well, only when it doesn't involve someone keeping one from me. LOL)
The box contained the following:
Ranger Shrink Plastic
US Art Quest Mica Tiles
Clear embossing powder
Ranger Distress Crackle Paint
Perfect Pearls Mist Bronze
Tim Holtz Black Soot Distress Ink
Inkadinkado Clock Stamp
Karen Foster black pins
I found it all to be so much fun, because I had seen Mica Tiles and Shrink Plastic used, but never played with it myself.
Here was my thought process and final art project:
1) I knew immediately I wanted to make a canvas. The Kaiserkraft paper had quotes on the dark side of the paper. It took me a while to figure out which quote I like the most. Thankfully, the kit included SO MUCH paper, that I will eventually get to use all the great quotes. The back side of the paper was a fun patterned green. That meant my color scheme for this project would be green, black, and white. (The Crackle paint in the kit was white.)
2) My first step was to trim a piece of the paper and adhere the green side to a pre-primed black 12x12 canvas.
3) I then found some flowers that would coordinate with the canvas and chose my favorite quote from the dark side. The quote was cut out and then adhered to the backside of pieces of Mica tiles. It gave them a cool finish. In the picture below, I am trying to figure out the placement of everything on the canvas.
Here is an upclose look at the words behind the Mica Tiles:
4) Once I liked where everything was going to sit, I decided to add some details. The first detail was to add some Perfect Pearls Bronze Mist to the paper and Crackle Paint all around the edges of the canvas.
5) After you let the Crackle Paint dry, it leaves the edges looking aged. I love it. Here is what it looks like when you do the next step: More Perfect Pearl Bronze Mist and Tim Holtz Black Soot Distress Ink!! Absolutely LOVE the distressed feel to it.
6) The flowers came next. I layered the flowers with a clock, black pins, buttons and shrinked items. I stamped the clock stamp from the Kit onto a Mica tile and cut it out. The centers of some of the flowers were punched out using my Time Holtz flower die and the shrink plastic from the kit. I then heated the plastic with my heat tool until it shrunk to the perfect size. The number piece was a Tim Holtz stamp stamped onto the shrink plastic and shrunk. The center flower was enhanced by adding clear embossing powder to the petals and heating. It was an experiment that worked. Part of me thought the petals would burn up. I was very happy with the end result.
Up close of the shiny clear embossed petals.
7) The final words were written on with a Faber-Castell Big Brush Pen.
I absolutely LOVE how the final piece turned out. Not only did the kit include gobs of items to make an amazing canvas, but I have so much stuff left over, that I will be able to make even more!!! I am thinking Christmas presents. Woohoo!!
Here is a look at all the items I still get to play with. So much fun!!!!
Thank you Home and Garden Welcome, for allowing me to be part of such a fun Kit Club. I absolutely LOVED designing for you, and hope to do it again in the future. If you are interested in this Kit, please hop on over to Home and Garden Welcome to purchase it. I promise, you will not be disappointed. SO MUCH FUN!!